In ExpenseWatch, companies can create expense categories to organize the data your users enter on their T&E reports. These categories can be customized to require certain types of data, to model the travel policy in effect at your company.
This article will show you, a user with Configure Expense Report permission, how to create a new expense category.
Step 1: Go to the Expense Reports tab.
Step 2: Under the Administration section, click Configure T&E Categories.
Step 3: The Expense Report Categories page will appear. A list of categories that you added before will appear below the Expense Category Setup section.
Step 4: Enter the Category Name and select the Category Type.
- Standard: This will set the category as a standard type with no mileage related fields.
- Mileage: This will enable Mileage related fields such as Reimbursement Rate and Mileage Entry. This will calculate the user's reimbursed amount by multiplying the millage rate by the number of miles driven.
Step 5: Select the GL setting.
- Default GL Code: Assign a default GL Code to the category. All expense items created using this category will default to the GL Code you assign here.
- Display GL Account: Click the checkbox if you wish to allow users to view the GL drop-down menu when completing the expense line item for this expense category. We recommend unchecking this option to prevent the user from selecting incorrect GL.
Step 6: Click the checkbox next to Display Gratuity if needed.
Step 7: Choose Limit Type.
- None: This will allow the user to submit any amount of expense.
- Reject: This will prevent the user from creating the expense amount if it over the Limit or Alternate Limit.
- Flag: This will allow the user to submit any amount of expense. Expense Amount over the Limit or Alternate Limit will have a Flag that will be visible to the approver.
- Truncate: This will truncate the expense amount to the Limit or Alternate Limit.
- Fixed Reimbursement: This will set the expense amount to a fixed amount.
- Limit (US&/Receipt): This is used to set a limit by dollar amount.
- Alternate Limit: This is used to set a limit by dollar amount and by Type: Day, Month, Report/Trip, Transaction, Week, Customizable numbered attribute.
- Gratuity Limits: If Gratuity is displayed, then the gratuity limit option will be available. Enter a dollar amount and/or a percentage to apply on this category's gratuity.
Step 8: If this category is a Mileage type, enter the Reimbursement Rate.
Step 9: Select the Mileage Entry, Maps and Location Settings.
- Distance: This will calculate the reimbursed amount based on the number of miles.
- Odometer: This will calculate the reimbursed amount based on the starting and ending odometer.
- Display: This will display Map and Location field on the line item and allow the user to use ExpenseWatch map feature to enter the route.
- Required: This will force the user to use Map and Location to calculate the reimbursed amount.
Step 10: Click the checkbox next to Require Receipt. You also have an option to set a dollar threshold on receipt requirements.
- Credit Cards Exempt: Click the checkbox if you do not want this T&E category to require receipts if a credit card charge is linked.
Step 11: Click the checkboxes that you wish to enable.
Step 12: Once finished, click Add Expense Category.
Once you add a new category, you may need to associate it to the business units. Please see Managing T&E Category/BU Association article.
Attributes are custom fields that you can attach to the category to ask employees an addtional data.
Step 1: Click the Edit icon next to the Category Name under the Attributes column.
Step 2: Edit Attributes page will appear. Enter the attribute information in the Add New Attribute section.
- Attribute Name: Enter the name of the custom field.
- Attribute Type: Click the drop-down menu and select the one of the type: Checkbox, Date, Drop Down List, Multi-Select List, Number, String.
Please Note: Attribute Type cannot be changed once it is created.
Step 2; Once finished, click Add.
Step 3: A confirmation message will appear. The attribute will appear below.
- Default Value: Enter a value that you would like to set as default.
- Required: Click the checkbox if you would like this field to be required when creating the expense line item.
- Edit List: If the type is Drop Down List or Multi-Select List, click the Edit List to add the edit the list for the Drop-Down menu.