This quickstart guide will help you get started with expensewatch.com’s automated expense reports system.
Expensewatch.com helps you control and analyze Travel & Entertainment spending, reduce travel expenses, shorten reimbursement cycles, and increase profitability.
Step 1: To create an expense report, in the Tasks section, click Submit an Expense Report.
Please Note: you can also access Submit an Expense Report from the Expense Reports tab as well.
Step 2: Create a new expense report under the Create section or edit a saved expense report under Your Expense Reports In Progress.
- Submit on Behalf of: Select another user in the drop-down menu to create the expense report on behalf of another user.
Step 3: Choose default Business Unit in the drop-down menu and enter the Expense Report Title.
Step 4: When finished, click Create.
Step 5: Editing the Header section and attaching receipts. In order to edit the expense report title or add comments, click Edit just to the right of the title. Once the modifications have been made click Save.
Step 6: To attach receipts to the expense report header, utilize the Attach File option or the Download Fax Sheet option.
Please Note: There is a size limitation per file attachment of 4MB. If your file exceeds this limitation a validation summary message will be displayed.
Step 7: Expense items can be created by manually entering the expense item data or from credit card charges.
Step 7A: To manually create expense items, click Add Expense Line. Add items to the expense report by filling out the expense item information in the Edit Expense Item section then click Save Item.
Step 7B: Line items can be created from credit card charges. All unmatched credit card charges will be listed in the Charges and Itinerary Items section. There are two tabs where credit card charges could be listed:
- Credit Card Charges: If your company receives credit card charges via an automatic feed from the credit card provider your charges will be listed here.
- Uploaded Credit Card Charges: Any credit card charges that have been uploaded by your ExpenseWatch administrator or uploaded by you will be listed here.
To add credit card charges to the expense report, a single credit card charge can be added using the drag and drop method.
Simply click on the credit card charge and drag the charge down to the Expense Report Details section.
After the credit card charge is dropped into the Expense Report Details section the line item will automatically open up in Edit mode.
To add multiple credit card charges to the expense report select the charges that should be added to the expense report and then click Add to Report.
After the credit card charge has been added to the expense report, click the Edit icon to add the remaining expense line item information.
The Receipt Date, Vendor, and Receipt Amount fields will automatically be populated based on the information supplied by the credit card provider in the feed.
Step 8: Complete the expense item details.
- Business Unit: This will default to the business init that was chosen when the expense report was created. This can be changed by clicking the drop-down menu.
- Category: Select the expense category of this expense item.
- Category Attribute: Depending on your company configuration, after selecting a category, this may appear which values need to be entered. These are created and maintained by your ExpenseWatch Administrator.
- Business Purpose: If applicable, enter the Business Purpose. Once this is entered, it will be saved within the drop-down menu for use on future line items.
- Project: If applicable, select the Project in the drop-down menu.
- Vendor: Enter the Vendor. Once a vendor is entered, it will be saved within the drop-down menu for use on future line items.
- Comments: If applicable, enter the comment for this line item.
- Receipt Date: Select the receipt date.
- Attachment: Click the Attach File or Drag&Drop the receipt that you wish to attach to this line item.
- Amount: Enter the receipt amount.
- Billable: If applicable, Place a checkmark in the Billable checkbox if the line item should be billed back.
Once finished, click Save.
Please Note: After clicking Save Item, any required fields that have not been populated will be highlighted in red. Enter data in the required fields and then click Save Item again.
Step 9: Once a line item has been added to the expense report, various actions can be performed on the line item.
- Edit: Edit the line item details, by changing values for that line item.
- Clone: Create a duplicate of the line item, to save data entry time. After you clone a line item, the new line item will be displayed in Edit mode.
- Allocate: Allocate the line item across multiple business units, GL accounts, or projects.
- Delete: Delete the entire line item.
Please Note: If a line item was created from a credit card charge, the charge will not be deleted and will be placed back into the Charges and Itinerary section so that it can be added to another line item.
Step 10: Reviewing the expense report prior to routing for approval. The expense report details can be viewed in either Expand mode or Collapse mode. To see the details of all line items click Expand. To hide details of all line items click Collapse.
To see the details for only one line item hover your mouse over the line item and click. This will expand the details for this one line item. The line item details can be sorted by clicking on the column headers.
Step 10: The expense report can also be reviewed using the Category View. This view will show totals by date and T&E Category.
A printed view of the expense report can be viewed by clicking the Print View tab. This will allow for a printable copy of the expense report including receipts.
Step 11: The Reimbursement Summary allows for review of total dollar amounts by:
- Company Card(s): Total credit card amounts that are payable to the credit card provider.
- Employee Card(s): Total credit card amounts that are payable to the employee.
- To Employee: Total amounts which are reimbursable to the employee.
- Report Total: Total amounts on the expense report.
Step 12: Once you complete the expense report, click Route report For Approval.